There are few certainties in life – one of them, however, is that children will always love playing in playgrounds. Unfortunately, another certainty is that there will always be children falling on playgrounds. If your playground isn’t properly protected, kids run the risk of serious injury; this is most common on playgrounds with natural grass.
Thankfully, artificial grass provides a much-needed alternative to troublesome natural playground grass. With artificial playground turf, children will enjoy playing on a comfortable, level surface with minimal risk of injury – and best of all, your playground will look fantastic after every use!
Why is Natural Grass Hazardous for Playgrounds?
Even the best-maintained natural grass can pose serious safety risks for children on playgrounds. Don’t let the natural green color fool you – with natural playground grass, you’re compromising functionality and safety for simple aesthetics. Some of the ways natural grass can be unsafe for playgrounds include:
- Lack of cushioning and protection in the event of an uneven landing
- Improper support to protect against slips and falls
- No drainage – soil will compress and increase the risk of slips
- Bare patches can accumulate mud when wet – this will cause children to slip and compromise the secure placement of your playground equipment
How Does Artificial Grass Help with Playground Safety?
Artificial turf is the best of both worlds – you get the lush, green look of natural grass with enhanced safety and security! Synthetic grass is the clearly superior alternative to natural grass for playgrounds for various reasons:
- Exceptional Shock Absorption – Most artificial playground turf is supported by some form of padding, depending on the manufacturer. This additional level of protection reduces the risk of injury when children fall, proving especially useful during those troublesome jungle gym falls.
- Outstanding Durability – Over time, natural grass can wear out with the movement of heavy play equipment and constant foot traffic. Artificial turf is designed to withstand high levels of wear and tear without losing its integrity, resulting in continued safety for children and peace of mind for their parents!
- Meets Strict Fall Height Requirements – Most artificial playground turf – including the synthetic grass products used by Grizzly Turf & Pavers – are required to adhere to the fall height standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Our artificial playground grass is guaranteed to cushion falls ranging from six to 10 feet, guaranteeing your children’s safety.
What Are the Best Places to Install Artificial Grass?
No matter the location, artificial grass is the ideal surface for kids of all ages. Whether your primary concern is safety or aesthetics, synthetic grass is the perfect complement for public spaces with a presence of children.
Some excellent examples of artificial turf use in public spaces include:
- Parks – Artificial grass is the perfect landscaping for areas with high foot traffic
- Schools – A safe surface for children to play – and it keeps operating costs down!
- Daycare facilities – Synthetic turf is perfect for toddlers just learning how to walk. The soft surface will keep them safe as they tumble while taking their first steps!
If you want to find out more about whether or not your children can benefit from artificial playground grass, contact an experienced artificial grass installer, such as the experts at Grizzly Turf & Pavers. Our team of synthetic grass installers and customer service specialists can walk you through every step of the process, from consultation to installation. Experience The Grizzly Difference and make your artificial grass vision a reality today!